2 cups rice
2 ¼ cups cold water
½ lb (225g) lean beef
2 T soy sauce
1 dry onion, finely chopped
1 t sesame oil
1 yellow pickled radish
1 undercooked carrot
4 eggs, separated
½ cup cooked spinach
1 t red pepper threads
20 full-sized sheets of laver (kim)
1. cook the rice in water. It should not be moist after cooking. Mix with sesame oil.
2. cut the beef into thin strips and fry it with soy sauce, onion, and sesame oil
3. cut the pickled radish and carrot into thin strips
4. fry the beaten egg yolks and whites separately in thin layers and cut them into thin strips
5. to assemble, cover a sheet of laver with a thin layer of rice, leaving a strip one inch wide uncovered along the edge furthest away from you. Two inches in from the near edge and parallel to it, lay the strips of beef, radish, carrot, egg white and yolk, pieces of spinach and red pepper threads. Beginning with the near edge, roll it up as you would a jelly roll. The vegetables and meat will be in the center. Seal the roll by moistening the uncovered further edge of the laver and pressing the roll down on it.
6. fill the other sheets of laver in similar fashion.
7. with a sharp knife dipped in cold water, cut the rolls into 1 inch slices to serve or pack into lunchboxes.