Sunday, October 15, 2006

Kong Gooksoo (Soybean Noodles)


february 027

Ingredients:

1 cup soybeans
2 1/2 cups water
1 package noodles
sea salt to taste

Garnish:
black sesame seeds
cucumber, thinly sliced
tomato 2 wedges

Directions:

Buy a bag of soybeans - I think it'll say meju kong on the bag. (I'm obsessed with putting everything in ziploc bags once I open a bag.) Place 1 cup of the beans in a bowl and fill with hot water. Allow it to soak for 1-2 hours. Drain. Put soybeans in a pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil. Drain and rinse well in cold water.

february 011february 013february 019

I use Pulmuone's all purpose noodles (as I do for most noodle dishes). Bring water to boil in a pot. Add the noodles and cook for 5-6 minutes. Drain.

Add 2 1/2 cups cold water and the soybeans into a blender. Puree until it is liquefied - you may add more water to achieve the desired consistency. I like the soup kinda thick so I just eat it as is, but you can strain the soup through a fine metal strainer if you prefer to get a thinner soup. It also gets diluted when I add in all my ice cubes anyway.

february 014 february 026

The soup should be served cold. You can either refrigerate it and serve later or do what I do and just toss in a bunch of ice cubes. Place noodles in a bowl and pour in soup. Garnish with tomatoes, thinly sliced cucumber, and black sesame seed. Mix in sea salt to taste and serve. When you order it in restaurants it comes garnished with black sesame seeds on top, but I didn't have any.

Kimchi on the side is a must. A refreshing dish on a hot summer day!

february 024february 030february 032

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.