Sunday, October 15, 2006

Oh-ee Muchim (Spicy Cucumbers)

I made bulgogi last night (I bought it pre-marinated) and I always need something spicy to accompany it so I made some oh-ee muchim. I usually make a Korean style lettuce and green onion salad, but I was running low on green onions so I made this instead. I love this spicy little side dish.

Ingredients:

3 cucumbers (pickling variety)
2 stalks green onion
1/2 onion
1 jalapeno
1 tablespoon gochujang (red pepper paste)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 teaspoons vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
salt (optional)

Directions:

Slice cucumbers in half and then into thick slices. Cut green onions into 2 inch pieces. Slice jalapeno. Quarter onion and then slice. Put all veggies in a bowl, add the spices, and mix. I use a disposable plastic glove like the one pictured above to mix everything together. Taste and if it needs salt, add to taste. If you like it sweeter, feel free to add more sugar. Serve chilled.

No comments: